Flickr Pictures

ScrapAddict74. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

11.11.2007

Girls just wanna have fun

Yesterday Ruben and Danny left for Vegas. Danny finally got home-sick and decided he wanted to go home after 3 months. Ruben's only there for 8 days on a business trip. Unfortunately, their plane left early in the morning, so Nat & I were forced to go home as no stores were open yet. We came home and rested for a little bit before deciding to go to Houma to shop. I wanted to hit up several stores, but in town they are spread out all over the place. In Houma everything is located within a few blocks.
While driving there I felt like I was having some problems with my contact in my left eye, after bothering me for several minutes I decided to pull over, so I could take the lens out and rinse it. That's when I noticed something was wrong with my eye itself. The pupil had been largely dilated compared to the other, and I knew that something was wrong. I called my sister who used to work for Lenscrafters. She told me that I should probably go see a doctor, but told me to wait a bit as my BIL was heading to work and he would ask one of the doctors there....he works in the optical department at Costco. After shopping for a couple hours I noticed that it still had not changed. My sister called shortly after, and told me that the eye doctor even recommended I go to the hospital cause it could be neurological damage, or maybe even nothing at all. Since I had just had surgery on the 6th, I was told to start with him first. I called his answering service, explained my concern, and waited for someone to call me back. Not long after, my doctor's office assistant returned my call and told me to go to the ER since it was a weekend and and already 4pm. So I filled up the tank and asked my neighbor if she could watch Natalie while I go, but they insisted I not drive myself. We began heading to the hospital and almost got as far as the bridge, when my plastic surgeon called. He told me that I didn't have to go the the ER, he knew what the likely cause was. Prior to surgery he prescribed this Transderm Scop patch that you put behind your ear 2 hours before surgery. The Scopolamine in the patch is known for causing such side effects, as well as many others you can read about here. As the prescribing doctor he was very familiar with the common side effects of the medication, and told me that I didn't need to go to the ER - that I should go only if I experience changes in my vision or the pupil gets so big you can no longer see the blue in my eyes. So we turned around and headed for home. Miss Arlene was nice enough to let Nat stay and play till 9pm so that I could rest and relax, then she had her teenage son walk her home since it was dark. Have I said how great my neighbors are? Ruben was so paranoid about the whole surgical procedure before leaving town, but made sure to talk with the neighbors and ask them to look after me and help whenever possible. I told him that it's only 8 days, I think I can take care of myself for that long! We'll just have to leave day 1 out of the equation!

No comments: